Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Welcome to Our New Reader

Dear Readers, I want to welcome the Anonymous commenter who appeared for the first time this week.
I would like to hear from more of you, and the comments don't need to be long or involved, just honest and not vitriolic.
To our new reader - I agree with much that you say, and if you go back and read my blogs over the past 18 months, you'll see that.
But, perhaps we disagree in one important way.
Just because the world seems to be rapidly going to hell in a hand basket doesn't mean we ought to sit back and say, that's it, boys, we lost.
If human beings had done that all along:
1. there would have been no ancient Greek democratic spirit to make us understand that we are our own government.
2. there would have been no Christian movement in the face of Imperial Rome's crucifixion of Jesus and we would all still be worshipping Roman gods.
3. there would have been no Renaissance of the arts and sciences and we would still be clinging to the edge of a flat European world.
4. there would have been no Continental Congress and Declaration of Independence and the American Colonies would still be being taxed to support Britain.
You see my point, I'm sure. When we disagree with public leaders, it is time to take up "arms" either as words or actions, but not, need I say, violence. Americans and Europeans are old hands at turning out dictators and unworkable political ideas.
So, instead of giving up, why not do something - as I am - as you are - as we all should.
To the right of my blog you see what I live by politically: "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for welcoming to the fold.

    I hope that my comments are not "vitriolic" in any manner. Not intended to beat all. You and I would probably agree 99% of the time from what I read of your "blogs". I have gone back and read some of them. I refrained from commenting on any because I wasn't sure if you'd know there were ancient comments. I don't know what level of notification you get with your blogs.

    I whole heartily agree that now is not the time to sit back and do nothing. Rome is burning and we need to save it. Your 4 points are right on. To add maybe a few others modern examples where you and I would probably agree:
    1. Viet Nam - one real reason for our involvement was the preservation of the Philippines. There was No way the US could have stood by and watched China control the PI.
    2. Columbia and Pablo
    3. Panama and Manuel Noriega
    4. Berlin Wall fiasco
    5. The botched rescue attempt of Embassy staff in Iran
    6. And so on and so on.

    Gee 5 of 6 of my examples can under who's leadership - Reagan.

    When taking up arms in the name of freedom people like you and I are always there. But there are millions of more people in the US today who are ready to take up arms in the form of exercising their right to vote on 11/6/12. As Ricard Nixon called them - "the Silent Majority".

    I'm sure that your an expert at political negotiating and at the Bar of Justice. As the price of freedom is eternal vigilance (and it is, if we would all blink or go for a up of coffee at the same time ALL could be lost in the blink of that eye). Thank you sincerely for all your vigilance; appreciate the work others due far from the public eye -- De Oppresso Liber

    ReplyDelete
  2. You both lost me and I used to be the primary commenter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry. Didn't mean too. Just MY thoughts. It's the presenter that lays out material

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excuse 4 of my 5 examples. Math is a weakness

    ReplyDelete