Friday, June 29, 2012

Allergies, Politics, Action and the Supreme Court

When I was a child, my mother had severe allergies. I often wondered how one “caught” an allergy, and as other family members suffered, each in their own way, with allergies, I thanked God that I had been spared. Well, the “sparing” was not to last a lifetime, because I now have allergies, too. But, what separates me from my mother is that I have cortisone that’s safe to use and antihistamines. She had very little except to suffer and try to survive the attacks. I can act.
Then, as I got older - well, in my 20s, if that counts as older - I was immersed in politics, Republican politics. And, naïve that I was, I thought that good ideas, a reasonably good public appearance and someone to manage your rise was all you needed. I learned that ideas counted for very little. It was the managers, the “handlers”, who counted because they could sell almost any idea, or lack thereof, if they were good enough, and the politician up front being presented to the public was only the “pretty face” of it all. I bailed out into law school, even though my handlers were honest and anchored in ideals, because I was sure that they could do better without me to bother them with my ideas.
After law school, I joined a corporate law department, and I felt like I was doing what I had been meant to do. Because of my political background, I got to represent the corporation’s public affairs group. I even wrote the model legislation that became the “it’s okay for corporations to contribute as long as they divulge the amounts and it’s within reason” legislation that spread to Congress and most of the 50 states. I drafted the legislation because I knew that corporations and their ideas and their input were essential to the American political process, and that it was grossly dysfunctional to allow unions to do what corporations were forbidden to do.
But, while I was trying to make the system work better for everyone, the handlers of my legal efforts had other ideas - corporations and unions and political parties and candidates.
It made me understand that, except for an overwhelming occupying army, every country gets the government it deserves.
Why do I tell you this, dear readers?
Because it is time to reconsider all of the above in the light of what’s going on in the world today.
You see, despite the views of Anonymous, I am not calling for Apocalpyse Now.
I still believe that we get what we deserve politically. And, when I see that just 51% of the eligible Egyptians turned out to vote for their new and first “democratically” elected president, I understand just how little we human beings really deserve in our governments. The percentages are not much better in the US or Europe. Surprisingly, Iraq did much better in very trying and dangerous circumstances the first time they were given a democratic vote.
Why do people ignore the most important part of their existence? Why do they not understand that it matters, Matters, who is elected to Congress and it even matters who is elected sheriff or the proverbial dogcatcher.
The flim-flam of people who are professional political “counsel” or “analysts” or “advisors” or “campaign managers” has co-opted us. They have taken away our right and our desire to be an active part of the political process.
And with that separation of politics from the belief of Everyman that he can make a difference and be a player, politics becomes a profession, just like being an engineer or a beautician or a pro tennis player. It means nothing but money, power, TV time and adulation.
Politics is not about any of that. It is about groups of citizens joining together to debate and choose the people who will work for their political structure, large or small, until the same people join together the next time to decide what the future ought to look like and who best will represent it for them.
The notion of citizen politicians died with Franklin D. Roosevelt, I suppose, in America. He hung on to power for 12 years, until he died - and it forced a change in the Constitution to limit a president to two consecutive terms.
If I were re-writing my model legislation today, my focus would not be on who spends how much. That was never the issue. The issue was always ACCESS. Everyone has the right to access to the political process. When that access is eliminated or ignored by the majority, they get what they deserve. Bad leaders. Bad policies. Bad government.
Today’s model legislation ought to focus on how to limit the power of the counsel, advisors, analysts, campaign managers, and all the hangers-on. They have corrupted our political system beyond recognition. Along with citizen politicians we need citizen campaign staff.
That brings me to the Supreme Court decision on Obamacare, whose analysis will follow this weekend.
What we ought to take away from the decision is that we were co-opted. By Obama. By his Democratic Congress. By the Supreme Court, for which I have huge respect. But this time they blew it.
It is time to take back the United States. As the Tea Party, despite all its amateur flaws, is trying to do. And Mitt Romney said it very well yesterday.
He will be vilified for his MassachusuettsCare. That is not the issue. He will be vilified for not understanding where the US is going with universal health care. That is not the issue.
The issue, as he put it so succinctly, is what we want from our government and President.
If we are willing to let others decide for us, vote for Obama. If we are willing to let others decide what is best for us without even bothering to ask our opinion, vote for Obama.
But, as Mr. Romney said yesterday, if we have had enough, it is necessary to send Obama back to Chicago, and most of the Democrats in Congress with him.
We in America, and citizens everywhere in the world, get what we deserve in political leaders.
Never has that been most true in America than in 2012.

3 comments:

  1. You dear blogger have said just what I have believed in my entire "thinking" life. This posting should be required reading for anybody that is contemplating running for ANY elective office anyplace - especially the lower, less attractive offices (ie: dog catcher). Why you ask! Well let me tell you it is these potential office holders that have a less polished staff, if they have a staff at all. They re running for an elective office not for money or glory, but for the betterment of that particular position and the better of the citizens they serve and the dogs they catch.

    Your spot on. 2012 is probably the most important election that I will participate in. Never have so many need to do so much in such a short period of time. This election is all about NUMBERS. How many people can we talk to and have them talk to just one more, and those talk to one more, and so on an so on each day between now and Nov. 6th. For every vote we get from an undecided or present Obama supporter will make Obama need to get 2 from us.And he can't do that. We are not undecided. If we don't do that or something else to get the vote out for Gov. Romney, to change as many undecided and independents as we can , then the great poet laureate of song Bob Dylan said it so many years ago - "The Times They are a Changing" will be right. And that change will take years and years to reverse. That reversal will be the legacy that we pass on to our children.

    On a personal note. I did not realize i was calling for an "APOCALYPSE" and I never meant to suggest that I thought you were. I apologize for not being more crystal clear. You see that's the beauty of exemplary use of the King's English that lawyers (NO INSULT) have.

    Maybe you could find time, sometime to enplane that paragraph about "Apocalypse Now". But if not that's OK I know you must be very busy.

    Thank you for a very enjoyable read. I look forward to your take on the High Court ruling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My beloved General and President, Dwight David Eisenhower said, "Politics ought to be the part time profession of every able American." I believe that and will work one more campaign to do the right thing for my country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read and reread this quit a few times, and sent it as an attachment to numerous friends (I hope that's OK with you). I am still marveling at complexity of the message and yet the simplicity of the action required. How palatable the you make climbing a steeper mountain (defeating Obama) today than it was just 48 hours ago

    As Tip O'Neil aid ..."ALL POLITICS IS LOCAL". For the left wing democrat that he was he understood politics at every level, how to get power (if that was your aim, and it shouldn't be) and how to hold onto it.

    Power is the problem. The citizens inside the beltway don't understand WE The People have the power. Their money comes from their ability to tax unmercifully and spend that (and more) tax money so recklessly with NO regard for our wishes. The power to tax is so controlling and demeaning when one is discussing the scope of our tax code. No I won' start on the value of a Flat Tax or some variation of it in place of that massive 17,000 page code we have today.

    Have a good weekend

    ReplyDelete