Thursday, January 12, 2012

What Politicians Never Learn

Recently, a friend sent me a lovely set of axioms about what one learns growing older. They are all true, and I’ve left them intact below, but, I suddenly realized as I was reading them that politicians just don’t seem to get it. They don’t learn what the rest of us learn, and it shows up loud and clear during presidential campaigns.
Here we go !

“I
f you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.” “And as a politician, even if you’re standing forever in the same ideological place, if you yell loud enough, you’ll get noticed.”
 
“I've learned.... That the best classroom in the world is at the feet of an elderly person.” “And politicians have learned that if they visit enough elderly people and promise them gobs of social security and medicare, they’ll get more votes.”

“I've learned.... That when you're in love, it shows.” “And politicians have learned that love is for kissing babies and your mother; for all others, love should be off limits during campaigns.”



“I've learned.... That just one person saying to me, 'You've made my day!' makes my day.” “And politicians have learned that one person does not an election victory make, so they want millions of people to make their day.”

“I've learned ....that having a child fall asleep in your arms is one of the most peaceful feelings in the world.” “Unless you’re a politician and have another thousand babies and hands waiting for you down the line.”

“I've learned .... That being kind is more important than being right.” “And politicians learn early on that they are neither right nor kind so they might as well get on with the dirty work of negative campaign ads.”  

“I've learned .... That you should never say no to a gift from a child.” “Unless you’re a politician at a state fair, it’s 98°F, and the gift is an ice cream cone.”

“I've learned .... That I can always pray for someone when I don't have the strength to help him in some other way.” “And politicians have learned that the louder they pray, the more evangelical votes they’ll get.”

“I've learned .... That no matter how serious your life requires you to be, everyone needs a friend to act goofy with.” “Unless you’re a politician and you thought the microphones and cameras had shut off…but they were running and got you!”

“I've learned ....That sometimes all a person needs is a hand to hold and a  heart to understand.” “Unless you’re a politician and the person wanting to hold your hand is the candidate who just beat you bigtime in a primary.”

“I've learned .... That simple walks with my father around the block on summer nights when I was a child did wonders for me as an adult.” “Because you’re a politician and your father was President and around the block was the back lawn of the White House.”

“I've learned .... That money doesn't buy class.” “But politicians learn that money can buy a lot of votes, especially in Chicago.”

“I've learned .... That to ignore the facts does not change the facts.” “Unless you’re a politician and you know that no matter how you screw up facts, some poor sucker of a voter will believe you.”

“I've learned .... That love, not time, heals all wounds.” “Unless you just lost on the second ballot at the national convention because somebody who had promised to be loyal bolted for the winner. Then, the rest of your life will be devoted to getting him…good.”

“I've learned .... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.” “Which is pretty easy for politicians.”
 
“I've learned ... That life is tough, but I'm tougher.” “And you’ll need all that toughness when you come in with 49.9% of the vote on election night.”

“I've learned .... That opportunities are never lost; someone will take the ones you miss.” “Especially on the campaign trail.”

“I've learned .... That one should keep his words both soft and tender, because tomorrow he may have to eat them. “This is something politicians just never seem to learn.”
 

1 comment: