Friday, September 27, 2013

With Pope Francis, We Must Ask, Who Am I to Judge?

Dear readers, I had such an emotional experience today that I want to share it with you. I usually go to Mass on Friday evening. Today, I arrived early and was reading the bulletin board when I felt - or rather smelled - someone behind me. I turned around and saw a tall gaunt man in very shabby clothes. He asked me for one euro...about $1.35. I said, you've been drinking. He answered, a little. Then he apologized and asked again. He was clearly not a professional beggar in a gang. He was French. And the pain and suffering in his eyes was difficut to look at. But I looked him in the eyes and said, you need to eat. He said, how? I got my wallet out of my handbag. How could I refuse anyone so vulnerble...and inside a church. I didn't have much cash because I had just been grocery shopping. But I had ten euros. I handed the money to him. I said again, promise me you will eat and not drink. He asked, where? There's a cafe behind the church, I said. He looked at me and said, I asked a woman for money and what I found was an angel for my shoulder. He touched my shoulder and then his own. I said I wanted to light some candles before service began and told him to go and eat. Actually, I was fighting back tears. I lit my candles and then sat in a pew to say a prayer. Suddenly, I saw him walk down the apse and stop to look at the candles. I went over to him and asked if he wanted a candle. He answered, yes. I lit it and went across to the side chapel where Mass was almost ready to start. He stayed behind looking at a painting of the Virgin and Child that has been a refuge for people with special needs for several centuries. ~~~~~ I know that you are thinking he went straight out and bought a couple glasses of cheap wine. That is probably true. But maybe he felt something that had been missing for a long time in his life - human contact. I'm not an angel. None of us are. But, Christian, Jewish, Moslem, Buddhist -- we all are taught to love and help our neighbors. Pope Francis is driving this home with his emphasis on mercy and caring for the poor. His "Who am I to judge?" ~~~~~ So, dear readers, whatever God you pray to, do me a favor and say a word for this poor French alcoholic outcast...and for all tbe world's outcasts everywhere. We are, after all is said and done for good and bad, we are our brothers' keepers.

4 comments:

  1. Angels come in all shapes,sizes,and places.

    What's important is that you did the right thing ... The man can make his own choice.


    I think we readers of Casey Pops get to have a visit from an angel every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad this wasn't a "wacko" and you were safe and all readers should pass this forward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To people who are non-believers, cynics, simple atheists ,agnostics !or those that view the world as being only that in which they live each day your experience in the Church last evening may be strange to them.

    But I for one believe that God comes to us in many shapes, forms, and varied circumstances. He comes to protect us at times of need, he comes to comfort us when worldly beings don't know are needs, he comes to direct us down a path we may not seek out on our own,and he comes to solicit our help.

    I know that sounds perfectly ludicrous but in my strange and eventful life I have experienced just this.and it reassures me that "faith" as hard as it is to hold on to is right.

    It's hard to hold onto a dream. And for a slight moment for that gentlemen in the church you were his angel, his reason to hold on one more day. That all important connection that has long been gone for him.

    My son and I never fail to give to those in similar circumstance. And that micro second as you give you touch their souls.

    Who really cares if they buy another drink, or whatever. You gave and they receivedyour offering.

    Thank you, but be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. because of both my Grandfathers I am proud to say I don't judge people. I may make quick decisions (which most of the time are right) based an my impression of someone ... but they are not based on who or what they are.

    Do I choose to have friends that are like me, yes I do. But I find NOTHING wrong with that.

    ReplyDelete