Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Perfect Obama State of the Union Address

Everyone is jumping on the bandwagon with predictions about what President Obama's State of the Union Address will contain and what will be left out. Frankly, I think we ought to go about it another in way. What would be the perfect address? Here's my view.

"Mr. Speaker, members of the House, Senators, honored guests.
I am happy to be invited here tonight to talk to the American people about the state of their Union.

Let me say, first, that the state of the Union is solid in several respects:
  - Americans are more than ever involved in their nation and in its government.
  - The country has turned the corner of one of the most difficult economic periods in its history and Americans are now more optimistic than they have been in several years.
  - America's position in the world has firmed up and we are once more looked upon with respect when we offer our opinions and suggestions on the world stage.

Now, for myself, I would like to speak frankly tonight to all my fellow citizens. I use that phrase deliberately because while we are together this evening, my White House staff is preparing for the release of my birth certificate, which will once and for all put to rest the notion that I am not an American.

I was elected in 2008, with a comfortable majority. I want to thank all of you for your vote of confidence. However, after two years of trying to govern by putting in place the programs I think necessary to move our country ahead, I have come to realize that somehow, back during the 2008 campaign, we didn't communicate very well. I was saying one thing and you were hearing another. This communication mis-match has led to a severe disfuntioning of the office of President and of the legislative branch.

First, I have always been a Democrat leaning to the left side of my party. Somehow, my message made you believe that I am more moderate that I really am.

Second, I have always proposed programs that are socially based, that is, programs that aid people more than they help corporate or middle class conservative America. But, this message seems to have been misunderstood, and when I actually began to implement these programs, you were shocked and dug in to stop me.

Third, in order to carry out my programs, I and my party have run up what the majority of Americans consider to be unsupportable debts and this has both angered and frightened the great majority of you.

It took me some time to get the message, but I believe that I now fully understand what you want from me and your federal government.

In the next 18 months, I promise to work with the majority in the House and with you, the American people, to bring my views and yours together in ways that will help America realize its potential, both economically and socially, and at costs the American taxpayer can afford.

Next January, I will give an accounting of what we were able to do together in 2011. If it was good for America and good for you, its citizens, perhaps you will consider re-electing me. I hope so.
Thank you, God bless you and God bless America."

Well, dear readers, we can dream, can't we. And, as Abraham Lincoln once said, "My dream is of a place and a time where America will once again be seen as the last best hope of earth."


No comments:

Post a Comment