Friday, November 3, 2017

Casing the Colors © Week 34

Casing the Colors © Week 34 • • • CHAPTER 52 • • General Gordon closed his personal telephone line and boarded the waiting US military plane. Scott Bennett and Bill Stevens had phoned President LeNoir for permission to send the ousted American President to France for safety and to alert him that General Gordon was flying without announcement to Ramstein Air Base in Frankfurt. "I don't know how long they'll remain in Europe," Secretary Stevens said when he talked to President Katerinov and Kate from the White House. "Scott wants to clean up the mess here in time to hold the 2024 presidential election as planned." "I expect the next US election will be of a rather different sort," Alexei responded. "Who knows," Bill answered. "First, we have to trust that he can patch the country together again. The protesters outside the White House are calm now, singing patriotic songs and waiting for their General to appear and talk to them. But, the southwest has been devastated. Houston and Los Angeles have taken heavy bombing attacks in the military clean-up. Fires and looting are out of control. People are locked in their homes or in their cars trying to escape." "Should I go to Frankfurt to meet Dad?" Kate asked. "No, stay where you are," Bill said. "The news from Germany isn't much better than it is here. Marchers are reacting pretty much the same as in the US, killing refugees and looting city centers near the refugee camps. Chancellor Gerhardt has committed the German army to regain control. He's asked for US military support and Scott has agreed. Your father is on his way to Ramstein to coordinate the joint NATO-American effort in Germany." "What about the Joint Chiefs?" Alexei asked. "Are they in control of the military takeover?" "They agreed before it started, but they're preoccupied with the military response in all their sectors. That leaves Scott in political command. I don't think they would try to argue with his actions." "Do you see the immediate possibility of other officers trying to overthrow General Bennett? I don't want to seem callous, but I need a friend in the United States, not a new inner circle to deal with," Alexei said without great delicacy, considering the state of his wife's nerves. "There isn't much chance of another coup, President Katerinov. The country's paralyzed, waiting to see what happens. General Bennett has the support of congressional leaders and the Supreme Court, and the military is either loyal to him or being very quiet. I'll keep you informed." Alexei put down the phone, already talking about what position to take in Russia. He was interrupted when Admiral Taylor phoned from the US Embassy in Paris. "I'm not sure what to expect when President Wellford arrives," Paul Taylor said. "General Gordon told me Stu left Washington voluntarily, to try to prevent more bloodshed, but he's planning to return as soon as possible. Personally, I think it's all over for him. The ambassador and I will meet their plane. General Bennett has asked all of us to preserve as solid a front as possible." Alexei Katerinov's response was direct and practical. "Admiral Taylor, you have Russia's support for anything you need. Just get a message through to Katharine or me." "I'm so shocked, Paul, I can't really react," Kate said when Alexei turned away from the speaker phone. "Do you think Scott intends to keep power permanently? Has he been playing with us all the time?" "I don't know any more than you do, Kate. But, my guess is that whether he wants to be President or not, there would be anarchy if he tried to step aside right now. That won't happen, and at least we seem to have the beginning of order again. It's a start." "Have you heard from Pete Lowell?" she asked, remembering the political animal she had invited into the White House. "Jim told me Lowell is helping to hold things together, giving Scott good advice. Who knows what their private understanding is. If I get any better information, I'll phone you." Kate closed the speaker line. "What do you think, Alexei?" she asked. "You've got a new President, unelected and not even formally blessed by the Supreme Court this time. I need to talk to General Bennett. The Alliance could be dead and that would be a catastrophe here and in central Europe." When Alexei got a scramble line through to the Oval Office, Scott's familiar voice came through clear and sure. "Hell, no, the Alliance isn't dead. We're doing everything we can to preserve it. I've just talked to the Arabs to tell them not to worry about Raqqa, because the US Army has eliminated him." He gave them the details quickly and with pride. "I told you we would win, baby doll," he crowed, forgetting in his excitement that his baby doll was now married to the president of Russia. "I'll be hosting the king of Morocco and President Saadi al-Hafiz of Syria next week. Just to let the world know the United States is still in business. Would you like to join us?" Alexei's face set into its public expression as he began maneuvering for power and place in the new world of US politics according to Scott Bennett, General, and perhaps President for life. "Of course, General. I would be happy to join you. My staff will get the details later today. But right now, I would like some assurance that your position is stable." "Stable," Scott laughed. "I'm as stable as the Rock of Gibraltar, if you don't kick it too hard. Don't worry, President Katerinov, I'm not going to let America go down the tube." Alexei wished Scott good luck and walked across the living room to a window overlooking the Kremlin courtyard. "What can you possibly accomplish in Washington except to make it look like Russia supports Scott Bennett's coup?" Kate demanded. Alexei turned to face his wife. "What I can do in Washington is remind the world that Russia is still the other power, that we're not going to let General Bennett and his military friends run the world alone. If I don't participate, we won't have any chance to hold Russia together as a free country. The General knows that as well as I do. What I have to do now is convince the Russian military that their future lies with the new American military leader and not with the hard-liners trying to overpower me."

No comments:

Post a Comment