Friday, December 24, 2010

Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Men

There were in the same country shepherds abiding in the fields
Keeping watch over their flocks by night.
And, Lo, an angel of the Lord appeared unto them
And the glory of the Lord shone round about them
And they were sore afraid.
But, the angel said unto them,
Fear not, for, Behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy
Which shall be to all people, for unto to you is born this day
In the city of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord.
And this shall be a sign unto you, ye shall find the Babe
Wrapped in swaddling clothes lying in a manger.
And suddenly there was with the angel
A multitude of the heavenly host, praising God
And saying, Glory to God in the highest,
And on earth peace, good will toward men.

This King James version of the glad tidings of Christmas has stayed in my heart and head since I was a child. When Christmas draws near, I automatically start to recite it silently. I think it was my great grandmother, who loved to read the Bible before all important family dinners, who read this part of the Gospel of Luke to me when we were alone, as well as to everyone waiting to eat my grandmother’s marvelous feasts for the Holidays.
On this holy night full of hope for mankind, may we all, of every faith, find time to reflect on the beauty of being human and the tremendous untapped power we have, in faith and ethical living, if only we choose to use it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment