Sunday, October 17, 2010

What Is America Trying to Do??

I receive lots of e-mails from friends forwarding articles, jokes, serious warnings about the future, and more. And, I sometimes ask myself, why did the author write this? Of course, the humorous pieces are making their point without pounding the table and the serious articles are supporting, or more often attacking, someone or an idea - usually the someone is Obama and the idea is his.
I got a piece this week about the President's supposed remarks about veterans paying for their post-service medical care with insurance. I have no idea whether the words were actually his or not, but the words attributed to the President were so harsh and cynical that I translated them for my husband, who speaks French. His instant comment was, "No president of the United States would ever say something like that." My reaction had been pretty much the same.
Now, whether the words actually came from the President or not, the idea that it is somehow justified to make political points by using American service men and women, and especially those wounded in the service of their country, is for me simply despicable.
There must be a better way to attack Obama. There must be words to highlight his weaknesses that don't cause such pain for the people we support most, our veterans. And, what good does it do to repeat the slurs and increase the anger and sadness in the most deserving of American citizens?
Elections ought to be made of better stuff than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment