Thursday, October 28, 2010

Let's Get Off the Obama Bus

I saw the remarks of President Obama about perhaps letting the GOP onto his bus if they win the House in November, but making them sit in the back. I was simply stunned by the arrogance and indecency of the remark.
To put it into perspective, we Americans, Black and White, have been working for more than 60 years to banish the "back of the bus" from our national vocabulary. From President Eisenhower to Rosa Parks to the Reverend King to Bobby Kennedy to all of us, collectively and individually, working, witnessing, praying and making the effort each day to eliminate the sorrow and shame of segregation from our nation.
It is impossible to adequately explain how much pain the President's remarks caused me and millions of other Americans. He low-balled all of us with those cynical words.
For a little perspective - my mother, born in western Pennsylvania, celebrated her 89th birthday this week. When I was a baby of about 18 months, she and my father lived near Fort Benning, Georgia, while he was enrolled at the US Army paratrooper school during WWII. She hired a young Black woman to be my babysitter, and the three of us were together every day. Now, evidently, I was too young to remember, but one day my mother decided to take me and our babysitter to town for some shopping.  When Mother tried to enter the bus, the driver said our babysitter would have to sit in the back. My mother refused. He insisted. Finally, my mother took me and our babysitter and went to the back of the bus so all of us could sit together. In effect, my mother was one of America's pioneer segregation activists, in her own small and personal way.
Mother was outraged and never forgot the shame and anger she felt that day. She passed on to all of her children that same anger and shame and we, in turn, took up the cause. I add that we are all Republicans and we have served as Equal Rights Commission members, local organizers of racial relation committees, and have never forgotten our Mother's courage or determination.
That story may not seem to be very important, but I know it has been repeated many times all over America.
To hear the President trash it and all it stands for in the blood, effort and prayers of millions of Americans of all colors and creeds, is something I never dreamed to have to hear and I hope never to have to hear again.
Decency, Sir, decency. Not only for yourself and your wife and children, but for all Americans of all colors, who are engaged in an effort that it seems you simply cannot comprehend.

No comments:

Post a Comment