Thursday, September 20, 2012

No Mentors Except Fate

I watched a documentary conversation with Clint Eastwood made in 2007. It was really a retrospective of his films. And, it seems clear to me that when the objective history of filmmaking in the last quarter of the 20th century is written, Clint Eastwood and his films will be the point of departure for evaluating all other directors. He has swept across the modern psyche like a hot wind generated by a forest fire - burning bare its landscape to reveal the bones and topography of post-Vietnam America. He has done it without resorting to gimicks or computer-generated images or photographic tricks. Eastwood's art, his genius is in taking ordinary human emotions and moral dilemmas and putting recognizable flesh and blood around them. One has only to call up the permanent wound he delivered to all of us who watched the final scene of Million Dollar Baby to understand his unique gift. He ended the filmed conversation by saying, "I never had any mentors except fate." That reverberating phrase made me think of Chris Stevens,the American Ambassador to Libya, who was stalked and assassinated last week in Benghazi by Jihadist terrorists. By all accounts, he was a professional of high quality, an expert in Arab affairs and a man who knew that to help, he needed to see and be seen in Libya. He took his conviction out onto the streets of Benghazi where he was known and appreciated for his concern and compassion for ordinary Libyans and their problems. In a way, Ambassador Chris Stevens, like Clint Eastwood, had no mentors but fate. He was badly protected, apparently ignored by the US State Department - which was proved wrong while he gave his life as proof of his correct evaluation about the deteriorating situation in Libya and the rise of well-armed Jihadist cells. Dying for America is not often the fate of US Ambassadors. Chris Stevens' assassination reminds us all that fate is a sly and efficient master.

5 comments:

  1. "What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal".
    Albert Pike



    ReplyDelete
  2. In my early career I was requested by a diplomat to accompany him on a very important junket to a country that I had neither ay working knowledge of, language skills of,or (I thought) value to the mission.

    After sitting with this gentleman (and he was that in every aspect) he convinced me that what he wanted from me was a trait that I had and thought it to be valuable to me and my existence among total strangers in lands far from my comfort zone. What he asked of me was to give him my personal opinion of the sincerity and honesty of the world leaders he was negotiating with. He convinced me I didn't need to know what they were saying (in fact I couldn't read the translations until after he and I talked about the meetings).

    He wanted me to READ them. This "skill" that I never thought to be a skill saved me many times.

    The point of this is that you don't need to see or understand what a person is saying to know their sincerity and truthfulness.

    I talked (via telephone) twice with Ambassador Stevens in my life. And let me tell you that he was a unique , down to earth, straight shooter, kind, respectful, honest, dedicated patriot. As my Grandfather would have said - "He was a Prince of a fellow".

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's another quote, "Only one life will soon be past. Only what's done for Christ will last." Sounds to me like Chris Stevens, lived what he believed and that was to help mankind. He was a missionary of sorts. I'm sure his legacy will live on. A beacon for all of us.

    ReplyDelete