Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Latest GOP Presidential Debate Winners and Losers

Another Republican Presidential Debate is history. What happened last night? On the surface, I would say, “not much.” But, let’s take a moment to reflect on the evening in Rochester, Michigan.
First, the CNBC presenters must have been surprised. They were convinced that the candidates would be kind to them, since CNBC is conservative and anti-Obama in its fashion. But as the evening wore on, the debaters became more agitated by the questions and finally, even calm Jon Huntsman, when asked to explain the US-China relationship, said, “In thirty seconds???” And then added, “it’s complex.” But, before Huntsman, both Romney and Gingrich appeared to be annoyed with Maria Bartiromo’s interruptions while they were trying to answer her questions. That is her on-camera style on CNBC, but it didn’t work last night with politicians instead of her usual mix of business types.
Newt Gingrich, in fact, seemed to have lost his aplomb and sense of humor last night. He was more the curmudgeon we expect. But, it doesn’t sit well when one is trying to be presidential. So, I would say that Gingrich lost points in yesterday’s debate. His answers were as sage and ponderously informed as ever, but he could have been a little more user-friendly.
Huntsman and Paul were noticeably more circumspect and tried to give details in a way that would explain their point without being over-the-top. Neither won, but we see in these two men the two poles of the GOP presidential field - Huntsman to the middle and Paul to the far libertarian right. Neither will be the nominee but I still believe Huntsman would be a good Vice President or, better yet, Secretary of State. I don’t know what will happen to Ron Paul since he is not running for re-election to Congress, but his voice is important because he is the only candidate who gives us a sense of the perfection of market economics, if only we lived in a perfect world. His message should be considered every time that any politician in Washington decides to fiddle with the market, because Paul is usually more right than anyone who wants to do the knob turning.
Again, there were the losers - Bachmann (who is clear and consistent, but then so are unintended drops of water falling from the kitchen faucet), and Santorum (his Hollywood smile is enough to put me off, so I won’t bother with his I’ve-done-it-all-before-you-others routine).
That leaves Romney, Perry and Cain. Shall we dance?
Cain was his usual calm, clear, on-point self last night. He is really just about non-flusterable (I know it’s not a word, but it fits Herman Cain). He handled the inappropriate scandal question from Bartiromo like a pro. His economic remarks are becoming more focused, without changing in their essence (take note, Mitt). I am certainly not ready to count Herman Cain out. Iowa will tell us a lot more about his future, but for me, he is not the third-man-on-the-match that most of the media makes him out to be. He is also a short-lister for VP.
Romney. I do not want Romney to be either the GOP candidate or President. He is rubbery in his convictions and slick in his prepared mini-speeches to answer questions, with a particular aura of “I’ve made it, like my father almost made it before me” that reflects neither humility nor virtue. Mitt Romney is the leader because he’s been working at it for 8 years and is up against a field of newcomers in Cain and Perry. They both stand for something good in American politics. Romney stands for winning. The media wants Romney, so why don’t they start a political party and nominate him?  
Perry. I could have cried for his blank on the Department of Energy. Everyone who is saying that it killed his chances is also saying this morning that it has happened to them occasionally on camera. But, I have to admit that it made me like Rick Perry even more. He is gentle, humble, personable and real, not plastic like many politicians. Who cares if he forgot the name of the Department of Energy - it’s such a sinkhole of stupidity that we all ought to forget about it and do as Perry said last night - get rid of it. Perry is on my short list, even if the polls count him out. May I just add, being a Reagonite, that Ronald Reagan blundered on camera more often than Perry has so far. It made no difference. And, when I watch Rick Perry, I see in him the image of Ronald Reagan trying to be a politician like the others, but just not fitting the mold. And, at the same time, I cannot help but think of Rick in Casablanca - Bogart, the tough guy who had a heart as big as, dare I say, Texas when it came down to being counted for good and for America.




  

1 comment:

  1. Hermie is still the man in my eyes and a lot more. I am sorry at the end they did not all take out a bow and arrow and shoot the moderators with the arrows. They were obnoxious.

    ReplyDelete