Saturday, April 30, 2011

What a Lovely Royal Wedding Kate and William Gave Us

There are moments that transport the world, that make all our troubles disappear, if only for a day. Yesterday was such a day.
There is really nothing I can add, except to say that I watched, I smiled, I cried, I laughed, and I marvelled at the enduring power of the British royal family to mesmerize us.
The Queen as calm and steady as ever, splendid in yellow, and making us wish that our political leaders were at least a little bit like her.
Kate, we’ll call her that forever no matter what Buckingham Palace wants, in her lovely Grace Kelly dress, wanting no more than to marry her Will. He, in royal red, waiting, a little nervous, and being teased by his younger brother, Harry. We all can identify with that.
Charles, perhaps found his perfect role. He was attentive, steady, and seemed to be ready if some small thing required his years of undergoing the rigors of royal protocol.
Camilla, whom I must say I do not like very much, has possibly found her role at last. She was relaxed, helped Kate and Charles, and seemed to fit into the role of step-mother of the groom with an unaccustomed ease.
And the last word for Kate’s parents, Carol and Michael. They were tossed into the royal whirlwind without much warning. And they did so well that they seemed to have been there all their lives. Carol, for me, was the best-dressed woman at the Abbey. Her pale blue outfit and matching hat were elegant. Maybe we now know why Kate has a timeless style. Michael, he was a rock, smiling at his daughter, and if you noticed, steadying her hand when she gripped his so tightly that her knuckles were white as she walked to the altar.
Well done, everyone.
God bless and lots of luck, Kate and Will. You’ll need every bit of it, but I think you’re up to the task.

No comments:

Post a Comment