Friday, March 11, 2011

The Dalai Lama, Ghandi, Japan and Libya

Today is a sad day on earth.
We are watching Free Libya be destroyed by Qadhaffi’s war machine, most of it provided by the West and Russia.
We have also seen the first photos of the terrible earthquake and the following tsunamis in Japan, a country that helps the world no matter what the humanitarian crisis may be.
The two human disasters made me think of Ghandi, that great, peaceful saviour of India’s freedom from colonialism.
Ghandi said : “I shall pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.”
If Ghandi tugs at our hearts today as we think of and pray for Japan, then let’s remember to do something - whatever each of us can - to help these generous, suffering people.
And, then my thoughts wandered to the Dalai Lama, a beacon for peace and love in a world sorely lacking in both.
The Dalai Lama has said : “Our greatest duty and our main responsibility is to help others. But please, if you can't help them, would you please not hurt them.”
The Dalai Lama reminds me that Free Libya will probably be jettisoned to the interior pages of our newspapers while the Japanese earthquake photos shock and sadden us. And, the poor Libyan freedom fighters have no one to help them. No one except French President Sarkozy, who has recognized them and is trying his best to move a reluctant Europe to action. I won’t again mention America. I have despaired and am ashamed of my native land.
Pray - remember - help - all the Japanese and Libyans who are in the grip of death and devastation.

No comments:

Post a Comment