Monday, August 29, 2011

Casey Pops Time Out

Dear Readers,
My husband died Saturday morning after a very long and exhausting battle with heart disease. For twenty years he fought the problem of a heart muscle that was too weak to keep his system functioning. It brought many other problems with it - kidney failure, lack of lung fitness and a slow and irreversible eating away of his energy.
That said, he was an athlete all his life before his heart problem started. He was on one of the Swiss ski teams as a teenager and taught skiing, while at the same time being an architect and jazz musician, until that moment 22 years ago when his heart cried, "I can't do it anymore."
So, we have lived a full but increasingly restricted life. But he left behind thousands of happy memories and my sense of having been privileged to watch a fine human being fight for each day and win the battle for 20 years. Saturday morning the disease won. 
I am filled with grief and my heart, and the hearts of his many friends, ache for our loss.
But, he will always be there, watching over them, and me as I make a determined effort to continue to live.
To do otherwise would be a betrayal of his legacy.
So, I'll be back this weekend, but in the meantime, enjoy some of the earlier blogs and keep my husband in your thoughts and prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment